Wednesday, September 15, 2004

So I decided to e-open my correspondence with B. I find him interesting and would like to work with him.

Me" "I was thinking of you as ME, Ann and some of us are getting together as we all shared 9/11 - lots better than I make it sound not really since we were all up at Martha's Vineyard to get away from the dust. We were actually plotting DigiFlaherty back then....

Anyway I am leaving again for M on October 15 so I would like to pick up our e-conversation and see if we can get any conceptual ducks in a row incase I can follow up on anything there. I will be gone till Dec 15 but will occupy cyberspace. Hit me back and let's talk!"

And I got this from B in reply:

"Sorry I've been out of the loop, crunch time for some projects this month. I was there during September 11 too, had a show in the Bronx at Wave Hill so it's interesting I was in your thoughts. As for our dialogue, here's a tidbit. One thing I've always been interested in exploring is the implications of the camera (video or still) in the experience of my people. The camera has been turned on Northern
Cheyennes ever since photography became portable. I just worked through some issues around others (non-Natives) videotaping my people (the Youth RAP summer project) and me being the intermediary in the community. It's hard for me to turn the camera on my own people, much less allow others to (I'm very protective of my people based on past experiences). The history of exploitation is enormous with my people, especially around photographic and video images. Always being defined, that's us. So, my youth media project seeks to reverse that, however it raises questions as well around us turning the camera on ourselves or each other. Interesting dilemma. Anyway, food for thought. Has there been similar issues in your community?"

I am glad to hear from him.



No comments:

Post a Comment